Voting is an important way to make your voice heard on a local, state, and federal level; every vote counts! If you need assistance with voter registration, please come into either our Chico or Redding office.
- Check the Status of Your Voter Registration HERE.
- Pick-Up Voter Registration Application:
You can pick up a paper voter registration application at your county elections office, library, Department of Motor Vehicles offices, or U.S. post office. Your voter registration application must be filled out completely and postmarked or hand-delivered to your county elections office at least 15 days before the election.
- Online Voter Registration Application
Complete and submit an online voter registration form at the Secretary of State’s website. Full on-line voter registration is not yet available, but by completing a form on this site, a registration card with your information will be printed and mailed to you. To get the online voter registration form, click HERE.
- Other Language Voter Registration Application
For a voter registration form in Spanish, Chinese, Hindi, Japanese, Khmer, Korean, Tagalog, Thai, or Vietnamese, visit the Secretary of State’s New Voters web page.
If you have further questions, call the Secretary of State’s Elections Division at (800) 345-8683 or visit the Frequently Asked Questions page here.
Qualifications and Deadlines
To register to vote in California, you must be:
- A United States citizen,
- A resident of California,
- 18 years of age or older on Election Day
- Not found by a court to be mentally incompetent.
- Not in prison, on parole, serving a state prison sentence in county jail, serving a sentence for a felony pursuant to subdivision (h) of Penal Code section 1170, or on post release community supervision.
For more information on the rights of people who have been incarcerated, see the "Secretary of State’s Voting Rights for Californians with Criminal Convictions or Detained in Jail or Prison", here.
The deadline to register to vote in California is 15 days before Election Day, so register early!
When to Re-Register to Vote
You need to re-register to vote when:
- You move to a new permanent residence
- You change your name
- You change your political party choice