Available Cooling Centers For Upcoming Heat Wave
Scroll Down to Find your county
Butte County Resources
Cooling Center - City of Chico
Offering several misting tents where Butte County residents can seek temporary respite from extreme heat. Bottled water may be available (TBA).
- No fee
- Open to Butte County residents of all ages in need of respite from the heat. Individuals are permitted to bring only one backpack into the tent. Other items such as personal water, strollers, walkers and wheelchairs are permitted. Food and pets are not allowed in the tents. Only service animals will be permitted. Due to COVID-19, masks are recommended for those who are not vaccinated. Photo ID is not required.
- Please Note: Temperatures will be checked before entering the tent. Individuals are asked not to enter the tent if they are ill.
- The Emergency Cooling Center will be open Wednesday, June 16, 2021 through Monday, June 21, 2021 from 12:00pm-8:00pm.
- Located at: Depot Park, 431 Cedar Street, Chico
Cooling Center - Oroville Rescue Mission
Oroville Rescue Mission is providing a temporary Warming and Cooling Center for those that are in need of temporary respite from the weather. Chairs are provided. Lunch will be served to each person in the center. Movies will be shown. Masks are required and everyone entering is subject to a temperature check. No pets allowed, service animals are allowed.
- No fee.
- Open to Butte County Residents. Temperature checked before entering the facility.
Families and individuals with children are asked to call ahead to make arrangements
to access a separate cooling area.
- Please Note: Residents are asked not to enter the building if they are ill. Masks are required
and will be available for those who do not have a mask. No photo ID is required.
- Available from 10am – 6pm (until further notice)
- Located at: Oroville Rescue Mission Shelter, 4250 Lincoln Blvd., Oroville
Extreme Heat Public Safety Webpage- Butte County Public Health
Offering a webpage dedicated to tips for staying healthy through extreme heat. Guidance to protect
individuals, families, pets and community from the dangers of extreme heat. Available online:
- No fee.
- For Residents of Butte County. Internet access is required to access the page.
Dwight Brinson Swim Center- Durham Recreation and Parks District
Public swim at Dwight Brinson Swim Center. Pool opens June 14, 2021 for 7 weeks. For questions or concerns please call 530-345-1921.
- General Admission: $4/Adults (age 18-54), $3/Children (age 17 and under), $3/Seniors (age 55 and over)
- Available: Monday-Saturday: 1st session: 1pm-2:30pm, 2nd session: 3pm-4:30pm
- Night Swim: Saturday & Sunday: 7pm-9pm
- Located at 9451 Midway, Durham
- Punch Passes available online here: https://bit.ly/33lY2SN
- Please Note: Due to physical distancing guidelines, distancing markers will be in place. Temperature screening will be in place. All other Aquatics classes and private rentals have been suspended until further notice.
Pleasant Valley Pool - Chico Area Recreation and Parks District (CARD)
Seasonally offers open rec swim, and open family swim hours. Pool open June 7, 2021 through August 13th, 2021. Amenities Include: 25 yard pool (3 1/2 - 5ft), wading pool (2ft), restrooms, showers, benches, and picnic area/tables. All passes are available at Pleasant Valley Pool. Pass may be used for Recreational Swim and/or Family Swim by immediate family members and is valid at the Pleasant Valley Pool. The swim pass cannot be used for swim lessons or other aquatic programs. Swim Pass valid June 7, 2021 through August 13th, 2021. For more information please call: 530-895-4703
- General admission: $3, Seniors: $2, Children ages 2 and under/ free
- Rec Swim: Monday-Saturday 1pm-4pm, Family Swim: Monday-Thursday 7:30pm-8:45pm
- Pool closed July 4th
- Family Pass (up to 6 people): $90
- Individual Punch Passes: $10 for 5 visits
- Located at Pleasant Valley Pool, 2320 North Avenue, Chico
- Please Note: Temperature screening will be conducted upon entry and a mandatory safety waiver must be filled out and signed upon entry.
Experiencing Heat Exhaustion Shower Facilities to Cool Down - Haven of Hope on Wheels
Offers shower, toilet, and laundry services to individuals experiencing homelessness or who were impacted by the Camp or North Complex Fire free of charge on a first-come-first-served basis. Showers are 15 minutes with 7 of those minutes being a timed hot shower which can be started when ready. Shampoo, body, and hand soap are provided in each shower room. Laundry pods will be provided for those utilizing laundry services.
- No fee.
- Available to adults ages 18 years or older experiencing homelessness or who were impacted by the Camp or North Complex Fire. May accommodate families under special circumstances. Shoes, sleeping bags, and heavy items are excluded from laundry services. Individuals accessing the service may wash up to 2 sets of clothing.
- Tuesdays - 11:30am-2:30pm at the levy behind Catalyst, 1931 Arlin Rhine Drive, Oroville.
- Wednesdays - 10:30am-2:00pm at 9861 Oro Quincy Hwy, Berry Creek.
- Thursdays - 10am-12:00pm at the Jubilee Church, 6280 Clark Road,
- Paradise & 1:00pm-2:30pm at the Pines Yankee Hill Hardware Store, 11300A Miller Flat Road, Concow.
- Fridays - 11:30am-12:30pm at the corner of Montgomery St and Feather River Blvd, Oroville. No service on the 5th Fridays of each month.
Glenn County Resources
Glenn County Cooling Zones - Glenn County Health and Human Services Agency Offering an air conditioned public space where Glenn County residents can seek temporary respite from extreme heat.
The Cooling Zones do not offer snacks or water, only air conditioned facilities. This information is available online at:https://bit.ly/3wAgx1g
- No fee.
- Open to Glenn County Residents
- Please Note: Residents are asked not to enter the cool zone building if they are ill and are asked to wear a mask. Masks will be available to those who do not have a mask at all cooling zone locations. Social distancing will also be in effect at all locations.
Orland Library, 333 Mill Street, Orland. Available Monday, Wednesday & Friday: 11am – 6pm. Tuesday & Thursday: 10am – 7pm. Saturday 11am – 3pm
Bayliss Library, 7830 Road 39, Glenn. Available Tuesday 1pm – 5pm
Elk Creek Library, 3432 County Road 309, Elk Creek. Available Thursday 8am - 12pm & Saturday 10am – 2pm
Willows Library, 201 N. Lassen Street, Willows. Available Tuesday & Friday 11am-5pm. Wednesday & Thursday: 11am – 7pm
Public Health, 240 N. Villa Avenue, Willows. Available Monday through Friday 8am – 5pm
Hamilton City Fire Department, 420 1st Street, Hamilton City. Available Monday through Friday 8am – 6pm. Please call (530) 826-3355 to confirm the daily hours.
Tehama County Cooling Centers
Red Bluff Community Center: 1500 S. Jackson St., 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday though Friday
Red Bluff P.A.T.H. Shelter: 440 Antelope Blvd., 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday though Friday
Red Bluff Library: 545 Diamond Ave., 1-7 p.m. Monday through Friday
Corning Library: 740 Third St., 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 2-5 p.m. Monday through Friday
Los Molinos Library: 7881 State Route 99E, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 2-5 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday
Cottonwood Community Library: 3427 Main St., 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday and Tuesday, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday
SHASTA COUNTY PUBLIC AIR CONDITIONED PLACES
John Beaudet Senior Community Center
1525 Median Ave, Shasta Lake, 275-2506
Hours: Monday - Friday, 9 am - 1 pm
Good News Rescue Mission * Open July 4th
3100 South Market St., Redding, 242-5920
Hours: Daily, 7 am - 7 pm
Mt. Shasta Mall * Open July 4th
900 Dana Dr., Redding, 223-3575
Hours: Monday - Saturday, 10 am - 9 pm, Sunday, 11 am - 6 pm
1100 Parkview Ave., Redding, 245-7250
Hours: Monday - Thursday, 10 am- 8 pm, Friday - Saturday, 10 am - 6 pm, Sunday, 1 pm - 5 pm
3200 West Center St., Anderson, 365-7685
Hours: Tuesday - Friday, 9 am - 6 pm, Saturday, 10 am - 2 pm
Cottonwood Community Library
3427 Main Street, Cottonwood, 347-4818
Hours: Monday - Tuesday, 11 am - 5 pm, Wednesday, 11 am - 6 pm, Saturday, 10 am - 2 pm, Closed: Thursday, Friday, Sunday
Frontier Senior Center
2081 Frontier Trail, Anderson, 365-3254 *available to seniors only
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 5 pm
Shasta County Cooling Centers
Cooling Centers: Volunteer Sites Open to the Public When Requested
Burney Fire Protection District
37072 Main Street, Burney, 335-2212, Contact: Adrian Rogers, Fire Chief
Intermountain Fairgrounds, Ingram Hall
44218 A Street, McArthur, 336-5695, Contact: Kourtney Woodward
First United Methodist Church
1825 East Street, Redding, 243-2403
Hours: Monday – Thursday 9 am – noon; closed Friday, Saturday, Sunday
St. James Lutheran Church
2500 Shasta View Dr., Redding, 221-6474
Hours: Monday - Thursday, 8 am – 2:30 pm; Friday 8 am – 12 noon
Shasta District Fairgrounds
1890 Briggs St., Anderson, 378-6789
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 am - 5pm