What is Assistive Technology?
Assistive Technology is a term that includes assistive, adaptive, and rehabilitative devices for people with disabilities. It also includes the process used in selecting, locating and using them.
AT promotes greater independence by enabling people to perform tasks that they were formerly unable to accomplish, or had great difficulty accomplishing. It does this by providing enhancements to or different methods of using technology needed to accomplish such tasks.
In general, any technology that enables someone to do something they otherwise couldn’t, can be termed as Assistive Technology, facilitating access and achieving previously unreachable goals. Individuals challenged by a disability can benefit from technology in many facets of their personal life; education, employment, recreation and social.
Examples of Assistive Technology
• Sound amplification devices are designed to isolate and amplify a single sound source for the hearing impaired.
• Reading machines that scan printed text (books, magazines, newspapers) and read them aloud for the visually impaired.
• Software that reads on screen computer text to the user (screen readers) or software that lets the user dictate text to the computer.
• Communication boards that provide the user with the ability to communicate their needs by pressing picture buttons.
• Devices that assist with daily activities such as adaptive feeding utensils, devices that assist with seating and positioning and devices that notify users of incoming phone calls or doorbells with lights or sound.
- CLICK the AT Network Logo on the right side bar to check inventory for a device you are looking for.
Independent Living Services of Northern California (ILSNC) provides direct Assistive Technology (AT) services to persons with disabilities. We help individuals learn about, select, locate and “try out” devices most appropriate to their needs.
A variety of AT devices are available at our location for short-term consumer loans. The loan program is designed to assist consumers with accessing and utilizing the most effective AT device for their needs.
If you are interested in finding out more about the loan program or would like to schedule an appointment for an AT consultation, please contact us.
Equipment Recycling Program
ILSNC provides assistive devices through its Reuse Program on a permanent or loan basis. Availability varies and may include:
• Mobility devices such as wheelchairs and walkers.
• Bath aids such as transfer benches, shower chairs and stools.
• Toilet aids such as bedside commodes and raised toilet seats.
ILSNC accepts donations of such items in a clean and serviceable condition.
FEATURED DLL OF THE MONTH
|Aumed Aukey Portable Video Magnifier
The Aukey is one of the first truly portable pocket video magnifiers with features and quality of units costing twice as much. Small enough to fit in your pocket but with its 3.5 inch screen, large enough to magnify documents, newspapers, mobile phone screens, medicine labels, price tags etc up to 17x!
The Aukey is ideal for anyone requiring more magnification than is possible from an optical magnifying glass. The Aukey offers a magnifcation range from 1.5x to 17x, which can be fully adjusted using both digital zoom steps and altering the Aukey’s height from the target. Weighing just 120g (4.2 ounces) and lasting two and a half hours on a single charge, the Aukey can be with you at all times. Aumed’s patented Anti-Blur technology also means you can read much faster than with other pocket video magnifiers as the image stays clear and sharp when moving the Aukey across your document, with no flickering or blurring.
Patented Aumed Anti-Blur technology means the Aukey provides clear, smooth and bright images even when reading at high speeds.
3.5 inch wide-screen, high contrast TFT LCD
1.5x to 17x magnification
Full colour, black on white and reverse
Freeze Frame – ideal for phone numbers or prices on shelves
Just 3 buttons – so easy to use
2.5 hours battery life (rechargeable)
Weighs just 4.2 ounces (120g)
Dimensions: 4.1 x 2.8 x 0.7 inches (105 x 72 x 17 mm)
Carry case included